1. Relevant, current UK standards, regulations and guidelines for the use of lasers/IPL.
2. The basis principles of laser generation and the differences in emission characteristics of laser and non-laser light.
3. The laser-tissue interaction mechanisms and the penetration of light of different wave lengths through skin and eye.
4. Laser hazard classification and the meaning of labelling on devices.
5. Hazards to the skin and eye from accidental exposure, incidental hazards and the concept of Maximum Exposure and Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance.
6. Principles of risk assessment and laser/IPL safety management.
7. Requirements for personal protection.
8. Explore the different types of devices available on the market and what treatment opportunities they are able to provide.